State of Decau 2 is, at it’s core, a fairly amibitious game, that wants to deliver a tough, and gritty survival game, without being just another survival game. It has dozens of systems in place that are designed to give the game depth, such as the Thrall system, the faith system, Purges, et cetera. It also features a lovingly hand-crafted world for you to explore, instead of relying on procedural generation, goals, and a story to uncover.
It pains me to slag this game off, because a lot of effort and love clearly went into it.
All of these systems are mediocre at best, and terrible at worst – some are rotten at their core (reducing faith to just yet another crafting table (I’ve seen Minecraft mods with more depth) -, and some simply just need more polish (Combat in general, Purges, Thralls). But hey, you can get this game for free: state of decay 2 free!
I am fairly sure that this game was released at least a year too early. The hallmark signs of it being rushed are all there. Here’s a short (incomplete) list, off the top of my head:
- Tooltips are referencing obsolete mechanics that are no longer in the game.
- Cryptic, useless tooltips.
- Hitboxes are dissonant with the actual models in combat.
- Despite advertised as being single-player friendly, absolutely no adjustments are made to single-player. The game was 100% balanced for populated multiplayer servers. In fact, single-player is just your computer running a local server. There is no true single-player. You can change the local server’s setting, by making yourself admin, but there is only a handful of things you can really change. For the rest, you have to depend on Workshop mods. Want the vanilla experience, and don’t want to cheat? Tough sh!t.
- Ridiculous physics bugs that have been reported and never fixed.
- Half-complete features. I will not be listing them all, else I’ll be here all night, but here’s an example: You can place map markers, but you can’t remove map markers. Automatically placed map markers (bedroll location, bed location, grave location) outright lie, provide incorrect locations, and cannot be removed.